Sunday, April 20, 2008

Fix or Replace?

My 1996 Honda ST1100 is the best bike I have ever owned. I want it better.

If I could change anything about my bike, I would increase power and handling. As it turns out, squeezing more power is a money pit without significant return.


Upgrading the handling through the suspension.....now there are some low-cost modifications that could make me happy. I have already installed Progressive fork springs (resistance increases as they are compressed). I'm looking to add a SuperBrace to keep the forks from flexing laterally and lastly I will replace the rear shock/spring unit.



The new fork springs have 85 lbs of resistance at rest which is more than the stock springs. Immediately, I saw that the front end didn't bottom out on hard stops, freeway bumps, potholes and the occaisional curb jump. It also reduced the "wallowing" in corners - a lateral movement that feels like your bike is not paying attention. Some of that feeling comes from the rear suspension that is now 12 years and 70,000 miles old. The part is $400. Saving....


Front suspension is not only two forks sliding back and forth. Those sliding tubes actually bend outward under the extreme forces of hard riding and will become momentarily bowlegged. This can be sensed as a "mushiness" or lack of precision when I am keeled over at a high speed. Not a time and place for vagueness. A SuperBrace is just a bar that connects between the front forks just above the wheel or fender and keeps the forks parallel throughout their range of motion.


The amount of tire rubber meeting the road is similar to a pair of men's shoes. I would not subject any shoe rubber to the forces that I put my tires under and expect them to save my life. Most riders I know have fierce brand loyalty when it comes to tires. We know what works, how we're going to use it and what they cost. I had to get new tires anyway, so I took a leap of faith to try a different product that I am not convinced is better.

Michelin's Pilot Road 2 tires have three different rubber compounds: soft, medium and hard. Each is placed to maximize performance and durability; the sides of the tire are softer/stickier than the center of the tread which is harder/longer lasting. After 1000 miles they feel like any other good tire - I have zero complaints. I only expect the new technology to justify the extra cost in the worst situations.

1 comment:

Sojourner's Moto Tales said...

Gosh! I'm impressed with your abilities to tinker, refine, and replace features on your bike. I know only very basic things but would like to know more. Thinking of buying an old clunker bike and follwing a Clymer manual to learn some "how-to" skills. If only I had more time...Congrats on your efforts.