Monday, May 26, 2008

Wicked Twisties




Hayden Lake Road, where 35mph is too fast.



This is the most fun I've ever had in 2nd gear. I can't believe I'd never heard of this run, and it's just outside my backyard! A down and back around the lake loop full of decreasing radius, off-camber, flipflopping turns.

Got chicken strips?

I've been practicing my "ready-aim-fire" reminder to set up and carve through corners, and there is no lack of opportunity to test it out here. Unfortunately, many of these corners are harder because you can't see the other side of the corner, and usually, there's another corner right after it. And another. And another. The "fire" and the "ready" blend with the "aim" and there's not much demarcation between them.

I've also learned alot about trail braking which is making my turns smoother and faster. If I don't roll off the gas to Zero and keep it at about 5%, I can use my rear brake to take up the slowing energy. I can more finely modulate my speed (especially for those ones that get smaller and tighter as you go) and I'm quicker to exit because the throttle is already engaged.

There are many ideas and opinions about trail braking, some do it all the time and others are horrified at the thought of it. Like most things, I have to get a first hand taste to see how I feel, so far I can see the benefit from lightly incorporating it into my riding style. Its still one more thing to think about when I'm walking the razor anyway, but like anything else it will become second nature.


4 comments:

Sojourner's Moto Tales said...

I love those "wicked twisties" signs! Great to discover a fun place in your backyard! Controvery on trail braking notwithstanding, we must do what the road/ride situation calls for. You sound really comfortable using that braking technique! I learned it in an advanced riding class but probably a nice dirt bike riding class would reinforce that skill more.

Countersteer said...

Thanks sojourner, I haven't ridden dirt since I was a tyke, I didn't know dirt riding used trail braking.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm interested in your vfr handlebars if you still have them.

Thanks,

Michael
casualfornow@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I love twisties. I learned to drag my knee at a high school parking lot though, doing circles however.

Road riding is fun, but I can't keep my front wheel down, so really, I can't wait to get back on the track!

Nice pics.

http://motorcyclesafetynews.com